● As per Census 2011, in urban India, over 32% children under ﬁve years of age are underweight and 39.6% are stunted.
● One contributing factor to these woeful nutrition statistics is the lack of access to basic preventive care information during pregnancy and childhood.
● In order for behaviour change communication (BCC) to be eﬀective, it must be timed and targeted to reach the right people at the right time, culturally speciﬁc and reinforced by repetition over a period of time.
● Secondly, when a child is diagnosed to be malnourished, after treatment, the child often goes back into the same ill-informed environment with the mothers having no knowledge regarding the rehabilitation process to be followed at home.
mMitra Customised Malnutrition Program : This will be oﬀered as an add-on program to all mMitra subscribers of ARMMAN in the Mumbai Metropolitan Region.
Primary Aim of the program is:
● Reduce the malnutrition rate in Mumbai
● Handhold the mother of a malnourished child through the malnutrition treatment and rehabilitation process.In addition to the once a week mMitra voice call from the fourth month of infancy, additional voice calls focused on malnutrition prevention will be sent.
120 additional voice calls will be sent from 4th month of infancy until the child is 5 years of age on nutrition & malnutrition. (An additional call a week until, once a week in the second year and then once a month till age 5)
● Complimentary feeding practices including the food groups that need to be introduced weekly, based on the state and district
● Prevention and treatment of conditions that precipitate and worsen malnutrition like diarrhoea
● Sanitation and hygiene
● Immunization reminders
● The complications and sequalae of undernutrition and overnutriton
● Need for regular anthropometric measurements including height of the child
● Services available at the Anganwadi